Styles of hearing aids include:
- Completely-in-canal style hearing aids (CIC): These are very small and cosmetically discreet hearing aids. The CIC instruments fit are custom-made to fit completely within your ear canal. There is a clear nylon string attached to the CIC to help with insertion and removal. These hearing aids are powered with a #10 hearing aid battery.
- In-the-Canal style hearing aids (ITC): These hearing aids are slightly larger than the CIC devices. They also fit within the ear canal and are custom-made. ITC hearing aids are powered with a #312 or #10 hearing aid battery.
- In-the-Ear style hearing aids (ITE): These hearing aids are larger than the ITC style and are custom made to fill the entire “bowl” of the ear. The customization, along with the lightweight and compact size, makes these devices comfortable and easy to manage. They are powered by a #13 or #312 battery.
- Conventional Behind-the-Ear style hearing aids (BTE): The processing components for these hearing aids are housed in a case that fits behind the ear. Sounds that enter the device are amplified before they travel through a clear tube into an earmold inside the ear. BTEs are durable, easy to handle and maintain and can be easily adapted for use with the wide variety of assistive listening devices. They are powered with a #675 or #13 battery.
- Open Fit and Receiver In-the-Canal Style: These hearing aids are similar to conventional BTEs, but they are much smaller, making them more discreet. A very thin tube leads to the ear canal making this option much more cosmetically appealing while offering superior sound quality.
- Extended Wear Hearing Device: Lyric Hearing Aids are a hassle-free, 100% invisible hearing solution – Lyric is the world’s first and only extended wear hearing aid that is worn 24/7 for up to four months* through activities such as showering, exercising and sleeping – all with no daily hassles.
*Lyric can be worn for up to 120 days at a time. Individual replacement needs may vary.