Difference between Hearing Aid Dispenser & Audiologist

Audiologist: Doctoral degree in Audiology or a Master’s degree. Trained to treat, diagnose, and monitor disorders of the hearing and balance system. Trained in anatomy and physiology, amplification devices, cochlear implants, electrophysiology, acoustics, psychophysics, and counseling. Minimum education is 4 years of undergraduate school with a Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of doctoral level degree in audiology. They also have a supervised externship prior to state licensure and national certification. In total of 8 years of education post high school. The four years of the doctoral level education are focused on medical, diagnostic and rehabilitative aspects of hearing loss, hearing aids and the vestibular system. Upon completion, Audiologist must also pass a national standardized examination in order to be eligible for state licensure. In addition to their higher education, continuing education requirements must be met annuals for the Audiologist to maintain state licensure.

Hearing Aid Dispenser: They are trained in audiometric testing and hearing aid fittings only, mainly for the sale of hearing aids. According to ASHA about the NC State licensure board, their requirements are to be a person of good moral character, be 18 years of age or older, have an education to a four year course in an accredited high school and have passed a written and practical exam. In order for license renewal, 10 clocked hours of approved continuing education must be maintained annually.

Please call Triangle Hearing Services in Cary and Knightdale at 919 636 3006 for any questions.